Tuesday, May 20, 2014

May 20, 2014 - Goodbye America

Today I begin a new adventure.

36,000 feet in the air and 3000 miles from my destination, the range of emotions I am feeling is tremendous. I am excited for the many opportunities I will have over the next two months; to travel, meet new friends, gain valuable worldly experience, and see an incredible array of artwork is a dream come true and something I knew would happen sooner or later. But I hate goodbyes, and traveling alone to new places can be quite nerve-racking. I already miss home, my fiancé and family, but at the same time I can’t wait to get started on this incredible opportunity and soak in as much as possible.

My first stop is Berlin, where I will stay for a few days. With everything that the city has to offer, I doubt I will stay put for long. My new acquaintances seated next to me have been generous with their help and suggestions, which I am very grateful for. Traveling without a phone or reliable internet seems primitive nowadays, if not downright frightening, but I think I can get by with small tidbits of assistance from kind strangers.

I arrive at 8 am tomorrow and will hopefully meet up soon thereafter with a friend and recent Minneapolis transplant in Berlin. I am sure to spend some initial time by myself though, wandering the streets generally looking like a tourist with my bags in tow. Food and a healthy cup of coffee will be first on my agenda, preferably at a café with wifi.

From there, Berlin is my oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment